Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I got a golden ticket!

I guess I should start by saying that labeling me as a "film fan" is a vast understatement. No word in the English language can serve my love of cinema its justice. "Enthusiast?" No. "Zealot?" Nuh uh. "Connoisseur? Aficionado?" Not quite. "Disciple?" Warmer, but no. You see, film has had a significant influence in my life and attitudes. Since childhood, it has shaped who I have become. Life lessons at 24 frames a second.

As a hobby, I discuss film. With friends, with family, with fellow fans. I write occasional film reviews for my personal blog. After a sabbatical of sorts, I've grown to savor the experience of the big screen again. Little did I know that my passion would present a rare opportunity... and a nervous wait.

The anxiety started Tuesday.
I logged into Facebook with the lack of enthusiasm but slavish devotion it seems to demand from its users. Prepared to read some updates and hide yet more posts of silly farm games, I was astonished to see something that genuinely caught my eye. A post from The Paramount Theatre of Austin asking for submissions to become a publicist for their Summer Film Series.



Now, I'd like to say I was lackadaisical about the prospect of being a publicist for The Paramount, but by now I'm sure you can guess that the truth was... my eyes lit up. Salivating at the chance to write about what I love (in a professional manner, to boot), I wasted little time. After dusting off browser bookmarks and rediscovering my old collection of writing samples from scattered corners of the internet, I composed a cheeky and informal e-mail in lieu of a proper cover letter. Then simply attached the links, crossed my fingers and hit send. That was the easy part. Tom Petty was right; the waiting is the hardest part.

Awoke Wednesday and felt like I was constantly checking messages. E-mail every few minutes, voicemail just as often. Were they gonna call or write? Would I get notified if I struck out? Would I get a rejection letter? When would I find out? The first event is Thursday night!

Luckily, I got caught up in different projects to occupy my nervous mind. At about 4 pm, I checked e-mail again. My eyes see the subject line that begins "CONGRATS!..." and my heart soars. I blink in disbelief and open the message. Sure enough, I'm one of the chosen. I slump back in my seat and exhale deeply. My luck's been rather hard of late, and this is the pendulum swing I needed. I was relieved, and my anxiety quickly melted into excitement and enthusiasm.

The rest of my day was like a sugar high. Everything had the frosting of accomplishment on it.

So now I lay in bed with a huge smile on my face, waiting to see what tomorrow brings. I can't wait for the thrill of seeing these films on the big screen. I can't wait to see what these events will be like. I can't wait to meet all these new faces. I can't wait to see what creativity is sparked in me. I can't wait. I can't wait. I've got a golden ticket and a hunger. I may not have a Wonka bar, but what lies ahead is far sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment