Friday, July 2, 2010

Films # 29 & 30: Tod Browning Double Feature (Jul 1)

The Devil-Doll
1936, 78 min.
Directed by Tod Browning

Freaks
1932, 64 min.
Directed by Tod Browning




I wasn't quite sure what tonight's films would be like. One was a notorious title, the other was a great big question mark. Full disclosure, I had never heard of The Devil Doll before. Any clue was based solely on the title, and that didn't give me much to work with. For some, perhaps the title evoked images of Chucky from those Child's Play movies, but not I. All I knew is that the term "devil doll" reminded me of that little demonic thing from "Trilogy of Terror," an old TV movie that for some reason scares the hell out of me. I actually don't think I ever saw that one, but perhaps I did once and it's now a repressed memory (shrug). As for the Tod Browning movie, well... that's a title I am quite familiar with but didn't ever think I would be ready to actually sit down and watch. Some of my friends who have seen Freaks have warned me that it's not an easy movie to take. But I figured, what the hell? I used to have cable. I saw an episode of Jerry Springer once. And Maury. And even Geraldo (no relation). What could be more freakish than those shows..?

Full writeup of the films is a work in progress...
Check back soon for the complete blog entry!

No comments:

Post a Comment